5 Facts about Guns and Violence
In the wake of the horrific mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, President Obama has said that restricting access to guns will be one of his highest priorities. But as Reason TV underscores, the new push for gun controls disregards many salient facts. To wit:
1. Violent crime has plummeted drastically over the last 20 years.
2. Mass killings peaked in 1929.
3. Schools are getting safer.
4. More guns are in circulation than ever before.
5. Assault weapons bans are generally ineffective.
Of course, the facts might all be stacked one way, but how many politicians can resist a power grab when the opportunity arises?